The story begins on 16 November 1856, with the institution of Lodge Ruprecht zu den Fünf Rosen (R5R). Initially numbering 23 Brethren, the lodge became a cornerstone of Heidelberg’s intellectual life. Under the leadership of Brother Johann Casper Bluntsli, a renowned Swiss teacher of public law, membership grew to 76 by 1867.
In 1868, the Brethren sought a permanent home, laying the cornerstone at Klingenteich No. 8. Though the building served as a field hospital during the French-German War, it remained a sanctuary for the craft, reaching over 140 members in the 1920s, including intellectual figures like Fritz Gabler and Karl Metz.
During the Nazi regime, the Lodge was plundered and the building converted into a chemical laboratory. It was only through the post-war efforts of American Brother Peter M. Rasmussen and a firm 24-hour ultimatum from the Military Government in 1947 that the building was returned to its rightful owners.